You are missing our excellent site navigation system. Register here for free and get full operational site navigation system. Benefits of full navigation system: Additional items in "home" menu for registered users, shortcuts to your account managements, quick-shortcut links to download and forum sections, show staffs and members online, notify you for new private messages and shortcut to individual messages grouped by senders, tracking latest forum posts since your last visits and reads, and much more.  
 User:  Pwd:  Code: Security Code

Free-Islam.com Free-Islam.com
::  Home  ::  Access Quran Project  ::  Free Islam Quran Translation  ::  Account  ::  Inbox  ::  Forums  ::  Downloads  ::  MP3 Player  ::  Video  ::  Arcade  ::  Chess  ::  Guest Book  ::
www.free-islam.com :: View topic - Does the Quran prohibit being kind to the parents?
www.free-islam.com Forum Index Search Forum FAQ Memberlist Ranks Statistics Usergroups
View Favorites Sudoku Coloku Lexoku Profile Log in to check your private messages Log in
Information Does the Quran prohibit being kind to the parents?

www.free-islam.com Forum Index » Bring it on   
View previous topic :: View next topic
AuthorMessage
AhmedBahgat
Site Admin
Site Admin

Faith: Islam
Zodiac: Leo

australia.gif

Post subject: Does the Quran prohibit being kind to the parents? Reply with quote  

ironhop wrote:
AB what about this verse...

Hello

ironhop wrote:
Say: "Come, I will rehearse what Allah hath (really) prohibited you from": join not anything as equal with Him; be good to your parents; kill not your children on a plea of want...

ironhop wrote:
Is prohibited to be good with parents or translation is incorrect.

Well, it seems that you misunderstood the context, this is a common fallacy by the kafirs when either they pick single verses of the whole Quran or even single words out of the verses, interpreting them as their low desires may incite them to, and while ignoring the whole context of the Quran

That is exactly what you have done by showing only verse 6:151 then highlighting the following words in it:

prohibited�?????�????�???�??�?�¢?�?????�????�???�??�?�¦�?????�????�???�??�?�¢?�?????�????�???�??�?�¦�?????�????�???�??�?�¢?�?????�????�???�??�?�¦ be good to your parents

I.e., for the pinheads (I do not mean you, rather in general), it has to look to them as if Allah has prohibited being kind to the parents. Funny indeed

Well, you need to understand an important point before I walk you through the verses:

-> If I want to prohibit something, I must use any of the following devices to inform the listener that such thing is prohibited:

a- لاَ , La, i.e Do not

b- أَلاَّ , Alla, i.e Do not (with a stress of Ã??????Ã?????Ã????Ã???Ã??Ã?¢??NOTÃ??????Ã?????Ã????Ã???Ã??Ã?¢??)

As you can see the two devices are almost identical, the only difference that the second device carries a STRESS of not doing so

Without any of the above devices, then the context can never be prohibition of anything, RATHER the opposite of prohibition, i.e. a command, i.e. Do

Let me now walk you through 6:151 (the one you brought) as well the next verse after it:

151: Say: Come I will recite what your Lord has forbidden to you, that you do not associate with Him anything and (treat) the parents in kindness, and do not kill your children out of poverty, We provide for you and for them, and do not come near the indecencies, whatever is apparent and what is concealed, and do not kill the soul which Allah has forbidden except with right; this (is what) He has enjoined you with so that you may understand.

152: And do not come near the money of the orphan except in a way that is best (for the orphan) until he reaches his maturity, and give full measure and weight in justice, We do not impose on a soul except its capacity; and when you speak, then be just even if it is against a relative, and with that covenant of Allah you should fulfil, this (is what) He has enjoined you with so that you may remember,

[Al Quran ; 6:151-152]

قُلْ تَعَالَوْاْ أَتْلُ مَا حَرَّمَ رَبُّكُمْ عَلَيْكُمْ أَلاَّ تُشْرِكُواْ بِهِ شَيْئًا وَبِالْوَالِدَيْنِ إِحْسَانًا وَلاَ تَقْتُلُواْ أَوْلاَدَكُم مِّنْ إمْلاَقٍ نَّحْنُ نَرْزُقُكُمْ وَإِيَّاهُمْ وَلاَ تَقْرَبُواْ الْفَوَاحِشَ مَا ظَهَرَ مِنْهَا وَمَا بَطَنَ وَلاَ تَقْتُلُواْ النَّفْسَ الَّتِي حَرَّمَ اللّهُ إِلاَّ بِالْحَقِّ ذَلِكُمْ وَصَّاكُمْ بِهِ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَعْقِلُونَ (151)

وَلاَ تَقْرَبُواْ مَالَ الْيَتِيمِ إِلاَّ بِالَّتِي هِيَ أَحْسَنُ حَتَّى يَبْلُغَ أَشُدَّهُ وَأَوْفُواْ الْكَيْلَ وَالْمِيزَانَ بِالْقِسْطِ لاَ نُكَلِّفُ نَفْسًا إِلاَّ وُسْعَهَا وَإِذَا قُلْتُمْ فَاعْدِلُواْ وَلَوْ كَانَ ذَا قُرْبَى وَبِعَهْدِ اللّهِ أَوْفُواْ ذَلِكُمْ وَصَّاكُم بِهِ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَذَكَّرُونَ (152)

-> In 6:151, Allah is telling Mohammed to say the following: Say: Come I will recite what your Lord has forbidden to you, , now, this bit does not in no way imply that what Mohammed is about to say is ONLY a list of prohibitions, rather it can be a list of prohibitions (Do not) and a list of commands (Do), the only way for us to figure this out is what I explained earlier regarding the two devices, i.e. if we see any of these two devices: a- لاَ , La, i.e Do not or, b- أَلاَّ , Alla, i.e Do not (with a stress of Ã??????Ã?????Ã????Ã???Ã??Ã?¢??NOTÃ??????Ã?????Ã????Ã???Ã??Ã?¢??), in the sentence then we should know that it has to be a prohibition, other than that, IT CANNOT BE, most likely it will be a command, let me now break the list of prohibitions and commands as they appeared in both verses above:

-> أَلاَّ تُشْرِكُواْ بِهِ شَيْئًا , Alla Tushriku Bi Allah ShaiÃ??????Ã?????Ã????Ã???Ã??Ã?¢??a, i.e. do not associate with Him anything , this has to be a prohibition because the device: أَلاَّ , Alla, i.e. Do not (with a stress)

-> وَبِالْوَالِدَيْنِ إِحْسَانًا , Wa Bi Al Walidayn Ihsana , i.e. and (treat) the parents in kindness , this has to be a command because neither device of prohibition is used, simply it means and (DO TREAT) the parents in kindness

-> وَلاَ تَقْتُلُواْ أَوْلاَدَكُم مِّنْ إمْلاَقٍ , Wa La Taqtilu Awladakum Min Imlaq, i.e. and do not kill your children out of poverty , this has to be a prohibition because the device: َلاَ , La, i.e. Do not

-> وَلاَ تَقْرَبُواْ الْفَوَاحِشَ مَا ظَهَرَ مِنْهَا وَمَا بَطَنَ , Wa La Taqrabu Al Fwahish Ma Zahar Minha Wa Ma Batan, i.e. and do not come near the indecencies, whatever is apparent and what is concealed , this has to be a prohibition because the device: َلاَ , La, i.e. Do not

-> وَلاَ تَقْتُلُواْ النَّفْسَ الَّتِي حَرَّمَ اللّهُ إِلاَّ بِالْحَقِّ , Wa La Taqtilu Al Nafs Allaty Harram Allah Illa Bi Al Haq, i.e. and do not kill the soul which Allah has forbidden except with right; , this has to be a prohibition because the device: َلاَ , La, i.e. Do not

Then the verses ended with: ذَلِكُمْ وَصَّاكُمْ بِهِ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَعْقِلُونَ , i.e. this (is what) He has enjoined you with so that you may understand., but that is not the end of the list, the next verse continues the list of prohibitions and commands, letÃ??????Ã?????Ã????Ã???Ã??Ã?¢??s see:

-> وَلاَ تَقْرَبُواْ مَالَ الْيَتِيمِ إِلاَّ بِالَّتِي هِيَ أَحْسَنُ حَتَّى يَبْلُغَ أَشُدَّهُ , Wa La Waqrabu Mal Al Yatim Illa Bi Allaty Hia Ahsan Hatta Yablugh Ashidahu, i.e. And do not come near the money of the orphan except in a way that is best (for the orphan) until he reaches his maturity , this has to be a prohibition because the device: َلاَ , La, i.e. Do not

-> وَأَوْفُواْ الْكَيْلَ وَالْمِيزَانَ بِالْقِسْطِ , Wa Uofu Al Kayl Wa Al Mizan Bi Al Qist., i.e. and give full measure and weight in justice , this has to be a command because neither device of prohibition is used, simply it means and (DO) give full measure and weight in justice

-> وَإِذَا قُلْتُمْ فَاعْدِلُواْ وَلَوْ كَانَ ذَا قُرْبَى , Wa Iza Qultum Fa Idilu Wa Lw Kan Za Qurba, i.e. and when you speak, then be just even if it is against a relative, , this has to be a command because neither device of prohibition is used, simply it means and (DO) be just even if it is against a relative.

-> وَبِعَهْدِ اللّهِ أَوْفُواْ , Wa Bi Ahd Allah Uofu, i.e. with that covenant of Allah you should fulfil , this has to be a command because neither device of prohibition is used, simply it means and (DO) fulfil the covenant of Allah.

And again, the verse ended in the same way as 6:151, confirming that all these items are part of the list mentioned, see: ذَلِكُمْ وَصَّاكُمْ بِهِ لَعَلَّكُمْ تَذَكَّرُونَ , i.e. this (is what) He has enjoined you with so that you may remember.

Here you have it, EXACTLY AS I SAID AT THE BEGINNING; it was not only a list of prohibitions, RATHER, a list of prohibitions and commands, in fact in the above two verse we have:

5 prohibitions (Do not)

And

4 commands (Do)

And that is what I mean by understanding the whole Quran context and not picking individual verses and even individual words to prove their confusion.

What is striking in verse 6:151 is the fact that the command of being kind to the parents, comes at priority # 2 after making sure not to shirk others with Allah, this was no coincidence, it is part of the decree of Allah as He explained in other Quran verses, let�?????�????�???�??�?�¢??s have a look:

23: And your Lord has decreed that you shall not worship but Him, and (treat) the parents in kindness. If either or both of them reach old age with you, say not to them: Ugh, nor insult them, and say to them a noble saying.

24: And lower for them the wing of humility out of mercy, and say: O my Lord! Grant then mercy, as they raised me up (when I was ) young

[Al Quran ; 17:23-24]

وَقَضَىٰ رَبُّكَ أَلَّا تَعْبُدُوا إِلَّا إِيَّاهُ وَبِالْوَالِدَيْنِ إِحْسَانًا ۚ إِمَّا يَبْلُغَنَّ عِنْدَكَ الْكِبَرَ أَحَدُهُمَا أَوْ كِلَاهُمَا فَلَا تَقُلْ لَهُمَا أُفٍّ وَلَا تَنْهَرْهُمَا وَقُلْ لَهُمَا قَوْلًا كَرِيمًا (23)

وَاخْفِضْ لَهُمَا جَنَاحَ الذُّلِّ مِنَ الرَّحْمَةِ وَقُلْ رَبِّ ارْحَمْهُمَا كَمَا رَبَّيَانِي صَغِيرًا (24)

-> In the above verses, Allah has elaborated further to how we should treat our parents, in fact the two verses are again a list of DO and DO NOT, now we are professional and we should recogines what are the DOs and what are the DO NOTs, simply by looking for any of the prohibition devices La or Alla
-> Here is how the decrees started: وَقَضَىٰ رَبُّكَ , i.e. And your Lord has decreed , the followings:

-> أَلَّا تَعْبُدُوا إِلَّا إِيَّاهُ , Alla Tabodu Illa Iyah, i.e. you shall not worship but Him , this has to be a prohibition because the device: أَلاَّ , Alla, i.e. Do not (with a stress)

-> وَبِالْوَالِدَيْنِ إِحْسَانًا , Wa Bi Al Walidayn Ihsana , i.e. and (treat) the parents in kindness , this has to be a command because neither device of prohibition is used, simply it means and (DO TREAT) the parents in kindness, IDENTICAL TO 6:151, see how it came in priority # 2, same as 6:151

-> فَلَا تَقُلْ لَهُمَا أُفٍّ , Fa La Taqul Lahuma Off, i.e. say not to them: Ugh , this has to be a prohibition because the device: لاَّ , La, i.e. Do not

-> وَلَا تَنْهَرْهُمَا , Wa La Tanharhuma, i.e. nor insult them, this has to be a prohibition because the device: لاَّ , La, i.e. Do not

-> وَقُلْ لَهُمَا قَوْلًا كَرِيمًا , Wa Qul Lahuma Qawlan Karima, i.e. say to them a noble saying , this has to be a command because neither device of prohibition is used, simply it means and (DO) say to them a noble saying

-> وَاخْفِضْ لَهُمَا جَنَاحَ الذُّلِّ مِنَ الرَّحْمَةِ , Wa Akhfid Lahuma Janah Al Zul Min Al Rahmah , i.e. And lower for them the wing of humility out of mercy this has to be a command because neither device of prohibition is used, simply it means and (DO) lower for them the wing of humility out of mercy
-> وَقُلْ رَبِّ ارْحَمْهُمَا كَمَا رَبَّيَانِي صَغِيرًا , Wa Qul Rab Irhamhuma Lama Rabiani Saghira, i.e. and say: O my Lord! Grant then mercy, as they raised me up (when I was ) young , this has to be a command because neither device of prohibition is used, simply it means and (DO) say: O my Lord! Grant then mercy, as they raised me up (when I was ) young

Here you have it again:

3 prohibitions (Do not)

And

4 commands (Do)

See, how the whole Quran must be understood in its whole context and not pick and choose then distort and confuse what they picked and chose

Salam
Post Messageicon Posted:
Sat 04 Oct, 2008 11:16 am
Top of PageView user's profileSend private messageVisit poster's website